1. BY what name are the sacred writings of the Bible commonly known?
"Jesus saith unto them, Did ye never read in the Scriptures, The
stone which the builders rejected, the same is become the head of the corner?" Matt.
2. What other title is given this revelation of God to man?
"And He answered and said unto them, My mother and My brethren are these
which hear the word of God, and do it." Luke 8:21.
3. How were the Scriptures given?
"All scripture is given by inspiration of God." 2 Tim. 3:16.
4. By whom were the men directed who thus spoke for God?
"For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God
spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost." 2 Peter 1:21.
5. What specific instance is mentioned by Peter?
"Men and brethren, this scripture must needs have been fulfilled, which the
Holy Ghost by the mouth of David spake before concerning Judas, which was guide to
them that took Jesus." Acts 1:16.
6. How does David express this same truth?
"The Spirit of the Lord spake by me, and His word was in
my tongue." 2 Samuel 23:2.
7. Who, therefore, did the speaking through these men?
"God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the
fathers by the prophets." Heb. 1:1.
8. For what purpose were the Scriptures written?
"For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that
we through patience and comfort of the Scriptures might have hope." Rom. 15:4.
9. For what is all scripture profitable?
"All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine,
for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness." 2 Tim. 3:16.
10. What was God's design in thus giving the Scriptures?
"That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good
works." 2 Tim. 3:17.
11. What estimate did Job place upon the words of God?
"Neither have I gone back from the commandment of His lips; I have esteemed the
words of His mouth more than my necessary food." Job 23:12.
12. Upon what evidence did Jesus base His Messiahship?
"And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, He expounded unto them
in all the scriptures the things concerning Himself." Luke 24:27.
13. What three general divisions did Jesus recognize as including all the writings
of the Old Testament?
"And He said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was
yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of
Moses, and in the prophets, and in the Psalms, concerning Me."
14. What does God's character preclude Him from doing?
"In hope of eternal life, which God, that cannot lie, promised before the
world began." Titus 1:2.
15. What is God called in the Scriptures?
"He is the Rock, His work is perfect: for all His ways are judgment: a God of
truth and without iniquity, just and right is He." Deut. 32:4.
16. What, therefore must be the character of His word?
"Sanctify them through Thy truth: Thy word is truth." John 17:17
17. What test should therefore be applied to every professed teacher of truth?
"To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word,
it is because there is no light in them." Isa. 8:20.
18. What does God design that His word shall be to us in this world of darkness,
sin, and death?
"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path."
19. To what extent has God magnified His word?
"Thou hast magnified Thy word above all Thy name." Ps. 138:2.
NOTE.-God did this by backing His promises with an oath based upon Himself. Heb.
6:13,14. By this He pledged and placed at stake His name, or character, for the
fulfillment of His word.
20. In what is the true poetry of life to be found?
"Thy statutes have been my songs in the house of my
pilgrimage." Ps. 119:54.
21. How long will the word of God endure?
"The grass withereth, the flower fadeth: but the word of our God
shall stand forever." Isa. 40:8. "Heaven and earth shall pass away, but My
words shall not pass away." Matt. 24:35.
Table Contents l Next Chapter