"The patient in spirit is better than the proud in spirit."
Eccl. 7: 8. "Be patient toward all men." 1 Thess. 5:14. "In your
patience possess ye your souls." Luke 21:19.
2. What contrast is drawn between the patient and the hasty in spirit?
"He that is slow to wrath is of great understanding: but he that is hasty
of spirit exalteth folly." Prov. 14:29.
3. Who are cited as examples of patience?
"Take, my brethren, the prophets. . . for an example of suffering
affliction, and of patience. . . . Ye have heard of the patience of Job."
4. What is said of those who endure?
"Behold, we count them happy which endure." Verse 11. "Blessed
is the man that endureth temptation." James 1:12. "He that endureth to the end shall
be saved." Matt. 10:22.
5. What does the trying of faith work?
"Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience." James
1:3. "Not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh
patience." Rom. 5:3.
6. What grace is to be added to temperance, or self-control?
"And to temperance patience." 2 Peter 1:6
NOTE.-Patience naturally follows temperance. Hence the importance of right living,- of
gaining control over the appetites and passions.
7. Why are we exhorted to patience?
"But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire,
wanting nothing." James 1:4.
8. What important test of perfection of character is given?
"If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able also to
bridle the whole body." James 3:2.
9. How are we exhorted to run the Christian race?
"Let us run with patience the race that is set before us, looking unto
Jesus the author and finisher of our faith!' Heb. 12:1,2.
10. For what glorious event are we bidden patiently to wait?
"And the Lord direct your hearts into the love of God, and into the patient
waiting for Christ." 2 Thess. 3:5. "Be patient therefore, brethren, unto
the coming of the Lord. . . . Be ye also patient; stablish your hearts: for the
coming of the Lord draweth nigh." James 5:7,8.
11. What will be one characteristic of the remnant church?
"Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the
commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus." Rev. 14:12.
12. What should be the language of every heart?
"I wait for the Lord, my soul doth wait, and in His word do I hope." Ps.
13. When Christ comes, what will His people say?
"And it shall be said in that day, Lo, this is our God; we have waited for Him,
and He will save us: this is the Lord; we have waited for Him, we will be glad and
rejoice in His salvation." Isa. 25:9.