"And He said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to
every creature." Mark 16:15.
NOTE.-The word gospel means good news, or glad tidings.
2. What is the gospel of Christ?
"I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto
salvation to everyone that believeth." Rom. 1:16.
3. How extensively and for how long did Christ say the gospel should be preached?
"And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a
witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come." Matt. 24:14.
4. Why was the gospel to be preached to the Gentiles?
"Simeon hath declared how God at the first did visit the Gentiles, to take out
of them a people for His name." Acts 15:14.
5. How are those who preach the gospel described?
"How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of that bringeth good tidings, that
publisheth peace; that bringeth good tidings of good, that publisheth salvation; that
saith unto Zion, Thy God reigneth." Isa. 52:7.
6. What was the object of Christ's ministry?
"I the Lord have called Thee in righteousness, and will hold Thine hand, and will
keep Thee, and give Thee for a covenant of the people, for a light of the Gentiles; to
open the blind eyes, to bring out the prisoners from the prison, and them that sit in
darkness out of the prison-house." Isa. 42:6,7.
7. For what purpose did Christ select the apostle Paul, and send him to the
"And He said, . . . I have appeared unto thee for this purpose, to make thee a
minister and a witness . . . to open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light,
and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and
inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in Me." Acts 26:15-18.
8. What is the Christian minister commanded to preach?
"Preach the word." 2 Tim. 4:2.
9. Of what did Christ say the Scriptures testify?
"They are they which testify of Me." John 5:39.
NOTE.-Every one, therefore who preaches the word aright, will preach Christ. Paul, who
faithfully preached God's word, said he was determined not to know (i.e., to make known)
anything" save Jesus Christ, and Him crucified." 1 Cor. 2:2. Jonathan Edwards
was once asked by a young minister what he thought of a sermon he had just preached.
"It was a very poor sermon, indeed," said Mr. Edwards. "Why?" asked
the young minister. "Because," said Mr. Edwards, "there was no Christ in
it." All the great truths of the Scriptures center in Christ. Rightly understood, all
lead to Him. Christ, therefore, should be presented in every discourse as the alpha and
omega, the beginning and the end, of the great plan of salvation.
10. How does God expect His ministers to preach the word?
"He that hath My word, let him speak My word faithfully." Jer. 23:28.
11. How did Christ present the truth to the people?
"And with many such parables spake He the word unto them, as they were able to
hear it." Mark 4:33.
NOTE.-Ministers should learn to adapt their labors to those for whom they labor- to
meet the people where they are.
12. What rule for teaching doctrine is laid down in the Bible?
"For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon
line; here a little, and there a little." Isa. 28:10.
13. How should the servant of God labor?
"And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to
teach, patient, in meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure
will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth." 2 Tim. 2:24,25.
NOTE.-While the claims of the law of God are presented to the sinner, ministers should
never forget that love- the love of God- is the only power that can soften the heart and
lead to repentance and obedience, and that to save men is their great work,
14. As a preparation for their work, what did Christ do to the apostles?
"Then opened He their understanding, that they might understand the
Scriptures." Luke 24:45.
15. For what did He tell them to tarry in Jerusalem?
"But tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on
high." Verse 49.
16. How did the apostles preach the gospel?
"With the Holy Ghost sent down from heaven." 1 Peter 1:12.
17. What was the result of this preaching?