and the fullness thereof; the world, and they that
dwell therein." Ps. 24:1.
6. Who owns all the gold and silver in the world?
"The silver is Mine, and the gold is Mine, saith the Lord of hosts." Haggai
7. Who owns all the cattle and fowls of the earth?
"For every beast of the forest is Mine, and the cattle upon a thousand hills. I
know all the fowls of the mountains: and the wild beasts of the field are Mine." Ps.
8. Who gives man power to get wealth?
"But thou shalt remember the Lord thy God: for it is He that giveth thee power
to get wealth." Deut. 8:18.
9. What statement of Christ shows that man is not an original owner, but a steward
of God's goods?
"For the kingdom of heaven is as a man traveling into afar country, who called his
own servants, and delivered unto them his goods." Matt. 25:14. See 1 Cor. 4:7.
10. How early in the history of the world do we read of tithe-paying?
"For this Melchisedec, king of Salem, priest of the most high God, who met Abraham
returning from the slaughter of the kings, and blessed him; to whom also Abraham gave a
tenth part of all." Heb. 7:1,2. See Gen. 14:17-20.
11. What vow did Jacob make at Bethel?
"And Jacob vowed a vow, saying, If God will be with me, and will keep me in this
way that I go, and will give me bread to eat, and raiment to put on, so that I come again
to my father's house in peace; then shall the Lord be my God: . . . and of all that
Thou shalt give me I will surely give the tenth unto Thee." Gen. 28:20-22.
NOTE.-It is thus evident that the duty of paying tithes was recognized by the
patriarchs as a religious obligation.
12. After what order was Christ made a high priest?
"Whither the forerunner is for us entered, even Jesus, made an high priest
forever after the order of Melchisedec." Heb. 6:20.
NOTE.-As Christ's priesthood succeeded the Aaronic or Levitical priesthood, which was
supported by the tithes of Israel; and as Christ was made a priest after the order of
Melchisedec, who received tithes of the patriarchs before the Levitical priesthood was
ordained, it is but logical and natural to conclude that the ministry under Christ's
priest- hood should be supported by the same means as were both of these priest-hoods,-
the tithes of God's people.
13. Did Christ Himself approve of tithe-paying?
"Ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters
of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to
leave the other undone." Matt. 23:23.
14. Of what is one guilty who withholds the tithe and free-will offerings?
"Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed Me. But ye say, Wherein have we
robbed Thee? In tithes and offerings." Mal. 3:8.
15. Concerning what does the Lord ask us to prove Him, and upon what conditions does
He promise great blessings?