Power in the Word
1. THROUGH what agency did God create the heavens?
"By the word of the Lord
were the heavens made; and all the host of them by
the breath of His mouth." "For He spake, and it was done; He
commanded, and it stood fast." Ps. 33:6,9.
2. By what does Christ uphold all things?
"Upholding all things by the word of His power." Heb. 1:3.
3. Of what are some willingly ignorant?
"For this they willingly are ignorant of, that by the word of God the heavens
were of old, and the earth standing out of the water and in the water: whereby the
world that then was, being overflowed with water, perished." 2 Peter 3:5,6.
4. By what are the present heavens and earth reserved for a similar fate?
"But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in
store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men."
5. In what other scripture is it shown that creative power is exercised through the
word of God?
"Let them praise the name of the Lord: for He commanded, and they were
created." Ps. 148:5.
6. What change is wrought in one who is in Christ?
"Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature [there is a new
creation, R. V., margin]: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become
new." 2 Cor. 5:17.
7. What is this new creation also called?
"Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man
be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God." John 3:3.
8. Through what agency is this new creation, or new birth, accomplished?
"Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word
of God, which liveth and abideth forever." 1 Peter 1:23.
9. What is the first creative commandment recorded in the Bible? and what was the
result of it?
"And God said, Let there be light: and there was light." Gen.
10. What connection is there between the creation of light in the beginning, and the
light of the gospel?
"For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our
hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus
Christ." 2 Cor. 4:6.
11. Why were the people astonished at Christ's teaching?
"And they were astonished at His doctrine: for His word was with
power." Luke 4:32.
12. What testified to the power of the word of Christ?
"And they were all amazed, and spake among themselves, saying, What a word is
this! for with authority and power He commandeth the unclean spirits, and they come
out." Verse 36.
13. What did Christ say is the seed of the kingdom of God?
"The seed is the word of God." Luke 8:11.
14. Where should the word of Christ dwell?
"Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom." Col. 3:16.
15. What did Christ say of the unbelieving Jews respecting the word of God?
"Ye have not His word abiding in you:
for whom He hath sent, Him ye believe
not." John 5:38.
16. How does the word of God work in the believer?
"For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the
word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in
truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe." 1
17. What nature is imparted through the promises of God?
"Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these
ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in
the world through lust." 2 Peter 1:4.
18. By what are believers made clean?
"Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you." John
19. How may a young man cleanse his way?
"Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto
according to Thy word." Ps. 119:9.
20. How did God heal His people anciently?
"He sent His word, and healed them, and delivered them from their
destructions." Ps. 107:20.
21. How did the centurion show his faith in the power of Christ's word to heal?
"The centurion answered and said, Lord, I am not worthy that Thou shouldest come
under my roof: but speak the word only, and my servant shall be healed." Matt.
22. What power has the word when hidden in the heart?
"Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against Thee." Ps.
119:11. See also Ps. 17:4.
23. What did God humble Israel, and suffer them to hunger?
"And He humbled thee, and suffered thee to hunger, and fed thee with manna, . .
. that He might make thee know that man doth not live by bread only, but by every word
that proceedeth out of the mouth of the Lord doth man live." Deut. 8:3.
24. What is required beyond a mere hearing of the word?
"But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own
selves." James 1:22.
25. What is the result of doing God's will?
"And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that
doeth the will of God abideth forever." 1 John 2:17.
Previous Chapter l Table
Contents l Next Chapter