Table of Contents
Birth, Childhood, and Early Life of Christ
1. IN what promise was a Saviour from sin first revealed?
"And the Lord said unto the serpent, . . . I will put enmity between thee and the
woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt
bruise His heel." Gen. 3:14,15.
2. Through whom was a restoration of the lost dominion promised to Abraham?
"To thee will I give it, and to thy seed forever." Gen.13:15.
3. Who was this promised seed?
"He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ."
4. Where was Christ to be born?
"And. . . he [Herod] demanded of them where Christ should be born. And they said
unto him, In Bethlehem of Judea." Matt. 2:4-6. See Micah 5: 2.
5. Of whom was Christ to be born?
"Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call His name
Immanuel." Isa. 7:14.
NOTE.-Immanuel means " God with us." See Matt. 1:23.
6. Before His birth, what did the angel say to Joseph concerning the naming of the
"And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call His name Jesus: for
He shall save His people from their sins." Matt. 1:21.
7. At His birth, what message did the angel bring to the shepherds abiding in the
"And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings
of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the city
of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord." Luke 2:10,11.
8. In what song of praise did a host of angels join?
"And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising
God, and saying, Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward
men." Verses 13,14.
9. What prophecy of Isaiah was fulfilled at Christ's birth?
"For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given:
and the government shall
be upon His shoulder." Isa. 9:6.
10. What did the prophet say His name should be called?
"And His name shall be called Wonderful, Counselor, The mighty God, The
everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace. Of the increase of His government and peace there
shall be no end." Verses 6,7.
11. What did the devout Simeon say when he saw the child Jesus?
"And when the parents brought in the child Jesus, to do for Him after the custom
of the law, then took he Him up in his arms, and blessed God, and said, Lord, now lettest
Thou Thy servant depart in peace, according to Thy word: for mine eyes have seen Thy
salvation, which Thou hast prepared before the face of all people, a light to lighten the
Gentiles, and the glory of Thy people Israel." Luke 2:27-32.
12. How did the aged prophetess Anna express herself at the sight of Jesus?
"And she coming in that instant gave thanks likewise unto the Lord, and
spake of Him to all them that looked for redemption in Jerusalem." Verse 38.
13. What did the wise men of the East do when they had found Jesus?
"When they were come into the house, they saw the young child with Mary His
mother, and fell down, and worshiped Him: and when they had opened their treasures,
they presented unto Him gifts; gold, and frankincense, and myrrh." Matt. 2:11.
14. How came Jesus to live for a time in Egypt?
"And when they were departed, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in
a dream, saying, Arise, and take the young child, and His mother, and flee into Egypt, and
be thou there until I bring thee word: for Herod will seek the young child to destroy
Him." Verse 13.
15. How does the revelator describe this satanic desire to destroy Christ?
"And the dragon stood before the woman which was ready to be delivered, for to
devour her child as soon as it was born." Rev. 12:4.
16. By what means did Herod seek to destroy Christ?
"Then Herod, when he saw that he was mocked of the wise men, was exceeding wroth,
and sent forth, and slew all the children that were in Bethlehem, and in all the
coasts thereof, from two years old and under." Matt. 2:16.
17. After Herod's death, where did Joseph and his family live?
"And he came and dwelt in a city called Nazareth:
that it might be fulfilled
which was spoken by the prophets, He shall be called a Nazarene." Verse 23.
18. What is said of Christ's childhood and early life?
"And the child grew, and waxed strong in spirit, filled with wisdom: and
the grace of God was upon Him. . . . And He went down with them, and came to
Nazareth, and was subject, unto them." Luke 2:40-51.
19. Upon returning from a feast at Jerusalem, how came Joseph and Mary to lose Jesus
when He was twelve years old?
"But they, supposing Him to have been in the company, went a day's journey;
and they sought Him among their kinsfolk and acquaintance. And when they found Him not,
they turned back again to Jerusalem, seeking Him." Verses 44,45.
NOTE.-This is how many lose Jesus today. They suppose He is in their company, but
do not see to it that He is with them personally. Through carelessness it takes but
a day to lose Him; but, when once lost, it sometimes takes days of sorrowful searching, as
it did Joseph and Mary, to find Him again.
20. What was Jesus doing when they found Him?
"And it came to pass, that after three days they found Him in the temple, sitting
in the midst of the doctors, both hearing them, and asking them questions." Verse
21. How did His questions and answers impress those who heard Him?
"And all that heard Him were astonished at His understanding and answers."
22. With what words do the Scriptures conclude the record of Christ's early life?
"And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and man."
NOTE.-Christ's early life is a pattern for all children and youth. It was marked by
respect and love for His mother. He was obedient to His parents, and kind to all. He hated
sin, and to every temptation turned a deaf ear. He sought to understand the reason of
things, and so increased in knowledge and wisdom. He was sympathetic and tender-hearted,
and ever ready to relieve the oppressed, the sorrowing, and the suffering. If we love
Christ, we shall love to talk of Him; our sweetest thoughts will be of Him; and by
beholding Him we shall be changed into the same image. See note on question 17. of Chapter
20. of this book.
Previous Chapter l Table
Contents l Next Chapter