Table of Contents
Gifts of the Spirit
1. CONCERNING what subject ought we to be informed?
"Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I would not have you
ignorant." 1 Cor. 12:1.
2. When Christ ascended, what did He give to men?
"Wherefore He saith, When He ascended on high, He led captivity captive [margin, a
multitude of captives], and gave gifts unto men." Eph. 4:8.
3. What were these gifts that Christ gave to men?
"And He gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists;
and some, pastors and teachers." Verse 11.
4. How are these gifts elsewhere spoken of?
"And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets,
thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps,
governments, diversities of tongues." 1 Cor. 12:28.
5. For what purpose were these gifts bestowed upon the church?
"For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying
of the body of Christ: . . . that we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and
fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning
craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive; but speaking the truth in love, may grow
up into Him in all things, which is the head, even Christ," Eph. 4:12-15.
6. What result is to be obtained by the exercise of the gifts in the church?
"Till we all come in [into, margin] the unity of the faith, and
of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the
stature of the fulness of Christ." Verse 13.
7. How is unity preserved in the diversities of gifts?
"Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit." 1 Cor.
8. For what purpose is the manifestation of this one Spirit given?
"But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal. For
to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge
by the same Spirit; to another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts
of healing by the same Spirit; to another the working of miracles; to
another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers
kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues." Verses 7-10.
9. Who controls the distribution of the gifts of the Spirit?
"But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every
man severally as He will." Verse 11.
10. Was it God's design that all should possess the same gifts?
"Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of
miracles? have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all
interpret?" Verses 29,30.
11. Were the gifts of the Spirit to continue forever?
"Whether there be prophecies, they shall be done away; whether there be
tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall be done
away." 1 Cor. 13:8, R.V.
12. When will the gifts of the Spirit be no longer needed?
"When that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done
away." Verse 10.
Previous Chapter l Table
Contents l Next Chapter