1. WHAT is faith declared to be?
"Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not
seen." Heb. 11:1.
2. How necessary is faith?
"Without faith it is impossible to please Him." Verse 6.
3. Is mere assent to divine truth sufficient?
"Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also
believe, and tremble." James 2:19.
4. What is required besides a belief in the existence of God?
"For he that cometh to God must believe that He is, and that He is a
rewarder of them that diligently seek Him." Heb. 11:6, last part.
5. From whom does faith come?
"For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is
the gift of God." Eph. 2:8.
6. Why did God raise Christ from the dead?
"Who by Him do believe in God, that raised Him up from the dead, and gave Him
glory; that your faith and hope might be in God." 1 Peter 1:21.
7. What is Christ's relation to this faith?
"Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith."
8. What is the basis of faith?
"So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of
God." Rom. 10:17.
9. What relation does faith bear to knowledge?
"Through faith we understand that the worlds 'were framed by the word
of God." Heb. 11:3.
10. By what principle is genuine faith actuated?
"In Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth anything, nor uncircumcision
but faith which worketh by love." Gal. 5:6.
11. Of what is faith a fruit?
"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, long-suffering,
gentleness, goodness, faith." Verse 22.
12. What in the early church showed living faith?
"Remembering without ceasing your work of faith, and labor of
love." 1 Thess. 1:3.
13. What is necessary in order that the preaching of the gospel may be profitable?
"For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word
preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard
it." Heb. 4:2.
14. What is the character of any act or service not performed in faith?
"Whatsoever is not of faith is sin." Rom. 14:23.
15. How does Abraham's experience show that obedience and faith are inseparable?
"By faith Abraham, when he was called to go out into a place which he
should after receive for an inheritance, obeyed; and he went out, not knowing
whither he went." Heb. 11:8.
16. With what, therefore, is the faith of Jesus joined?
"Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the
commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus." Rev. 14:12.
17. In what other statement is the same truth emphasized?
"But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?"
18. How is faith brought to perfection?
"Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made
perfect?" Verse 22.
19. What is the result of faith's being put to the test?
"The trying of your faith worketh patience." James 1:3.
20. What relationship to God is established by faith?
"For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus." Gal.
21. How do the children of God walk?
"For we walk by faith, not by sight." 2 Cor. 5:7.
22. Upon what condition may one expect answers to prayer?
"But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is
like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed." James 1:6.
23. To what parts of the ancient armor is faith compared?
"Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to
quench all the fiery darts of the wicked." Eph. 6:16. "Putting on the breastplate
of faith and love." 1 Thess. 5:8.
24. What chapter in the Bible is devoted to faith?
The eleventh chapter of Hebrews. In verses 33-38 are summarized the victories of
the heroes of faith.
25. What gives victory in our conflicts with the world?
"This is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith." 1
26. What is the ultimate purpose of faith?
"Receiving the end of your faith, even the salvation of your souls." 1
Previous Chapter l Table
Contents l Next Chapter