1. WHO are called to repentance?
"I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance." Luke
2. What accompanies repentance?
"And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in His name
among all nations." Luke 24:47.
3. By what means is sin made known?
"By the law is the knowledge of sin." Rom. 3:20.
4. How many are sinners?
"We have before proved both Jews and Gentiles, that they are all
under sin." Verse 9.
5. What do transgressors bring upon themselves?
"Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things cometh the
wrath of God upon the children of disobedience." Eph. 5:6.
6. Who awakens the soul to a sense of its sinful condition?
"When He [the Comforter] is come, He will reprove [convince,
margin] the world of sin." John 16:8.
7. What are fitting inquiries for those convicted of sin?
"Men and brethren, what shall we do?" "Sirs, what must I
do to be saved?" Acts 2:37; 16:30.
8. What replies does Inspiration return to these inquiries?
"Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for
the remission of sins." "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt
be saved." Acts 2:38; 16:31.
9. What will the truly repentant sinner be constrained to do?
"I will declare mine iniquity; I will be sorry for my sin."
10. What is the result of godly sorrow?
"For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation." 2 Cor. 7:10.
11. What does the sorrow of the world do?
"The sorrow of the world worketh death." Same verse.
12. How does godly sorrow for sin manifest itself?
"For behold this selfsame thing, that ye sorrowed after a godly sort, what carefulness
it wrought in you, yea, what clearing of yourselves, yea, what indignation,
yea, what fear, yea, what vehement desire, yea, what zeal, yea, what revenge! In all
things ye have approved yourselves to be clear in this matter." Verse 11.
13. What did John the Baptist say to the Pharisees and Sadducees when he saw them
come to his baptism?
"O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to
come?" Matt. 3:7.
14. What did he tell them to do?
"Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance." Verse 8.
NOTE.-"There can be no repentance without reformation. Repentance is a change of
mind; reformation is a corresponding change of life." -Dr. Raleigh.
15. When God sent the Ninevites a warning message, how did they show their repentance,
and what was the result?
"And God saw their works, that they turned from their evil way; and God
repented of the evil that H e had said that He would do unto them; and He did it
not." Jonah 3:10.
16. What leads sinners to repentance?
"Or despisest thou the riches of His goodness and forbearance and
long-suffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance?"
Previous Chapter l Table
Contents l Next Chapter